Sharing 1 single computer resource? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2007, 03:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Sharing 1 single computer resource?

I've always wondered about them COMPUTER RESOURCE sharing stuffs i heard sometime ago.. where it was possible to have 2 computers using 1 CPU unit..

where.. 2 consoles (Monitor, keyboard, mouse) can be connected to a single CPU Unit, and both consoles independently function...

figured it's a great way to save investment costs for simple computer tasks such as typing and web surfing..

i found this a while ago..

is this the type of device im looking for?

Old 02-01-2007, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Old 02-01-2007, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

You have it backwards, KVM switches allow one keyboard/mouse/monitor to be plugged into two computers, not two mouse/keyboard/monitors into 1 computer.

But if you wanted to do that, I have no idea how to do it in Windows, but with Linux you can do it.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

i am quite aware of the common KVM switches and I am using one regularly.

PLease read the product i posted..

The CS231 is a powerful, micro-processor controlled computer sharing device. It is a multi-user, single-tasking device that enables two users to share the use of a single computer - each from their own consoles (monitor, keyboard, and mouse).The CS231 supports USB consoles and both PS/2 and USB computers

tell me that doesnt sound THE OTHER WAY AROUND..
Old 02-02-2007, 12:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

You get it alot in schools/colleges, where the client computers (which are rubbish) run Linux Think Client or some version of windows, and they log on to a remote desktop session on one of the servers. Is that the same sort of thing? Your quote doesnt seem to show any network going on...
Old 02-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

nope it's not network type resource sharing.. it think the illustration speaks for itself..

1 CPU unit <====> KVM Device <=====> two sets of consoles/2 users

Closed Thread