Sharing 1 single computer resource?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clever_j

In Runtime
Hi

I've always wondered about them COMPUTER RESOURCE sharing stuffs i heard sometime ago.. where it was possible to have 2 computers using 1 CPU unit..

where.. 2 consoles (Monitor, keyboard, mouse) can be connected to a single CPU Unit, and both consoles independently function...

figured it's a great way to save investment costs for simple computer tasks such as typing and web surfing..

i found this a while ago..
http://www.aten.com/products/produc...7001&psid=20050107105159001&layerid=subClass2

is this the type of device im looking for?

You have it backwards, KVM switches allow one keyboard/mouse/monitor to be plugged into two computers, not two mouse/keyboard/monitors into 1 computer.

But if you wanted to do that, I have no idea how to do it in Windows, but with Linux you can do it.

i am quite aware of the common KVM switches and I am using one regularly.

PLease read the product i posted..

The CS231 is a powerful, micro-processor controlled computer sharing device. It is a multi-user, single-tasking device that enables two users to share the use of a single computer - each from their own consoles (monitor, keyboard, and mouse).The CS231 supports USB consoles and both PS/2 and USB computers

20061116171043001.gif

tell me that doesnt sound THE OTHER WAY AROUND.. :)

You get it alot in schools/colleges, where the client computers (which are rubbish) run Linux Think Client or some version of windows, and they log on to a remote desktop session on one of the servers. Is that the same sort of thing? Your quote doesnt seem to show any network going on...

nope it's not network type resource sharing.. it think the illustration speaks for itself..

1 CPU unit <====> KVM Device <=====> two sets of consoles/2 users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom