Setup of HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurph

In Runtime
I have 2 HDDs, XP OS on 20GB HDD and a 320GB for storage of everything else.
I have this setup due to previous upgrade of PC and recent HDD crash, it seems so sensible to use one small HDD for OS, and another larger one for all storage, easy to insert into another PC.
The only issue is that I was using an 80GB HDD for OS until it mysteriously crashed, failure mode unknown. Now using the 20GB HDD for OS, my PC is very slow, likely as it is a very old HDD, approx. 8-10 years.

Can anyone recommend a superior (quicker & safer) method of utilising 2 x HDDs for OS and storage?

Will HDD partioning help? Surely if HDD fails, it is likely it fails as a unit?

First you can't split an OS across two drives. If you want a two drive system the best advice is to replace the 20gb with a newer larger and faster model for the OS and maintain the 320gb for storage.

Many like the idea of custom installing softwares onto a second drive or partition while not a good idea. If the host drive fails you still have to reinstall everything all over again to see new registry entries created.

Once a drive fails simply toss it unless you need files rescued from it. That's where the professional data retrieval services make their money. Partitioning tools are for preparing a drive for use or modifying it for things like multiple partitions and multiple OSs.

Yeah thanks, agree with that.
My only problem is that I want a new small fast HDD just to run the OS, but you don't get such a thing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom