Setting up a remote network cam 2 monitor wildlife - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Setting up a remote network cam 2 monitor wildlife

A part networking, part general set up question:

I want to set up a remote streaming webcam overlooking a waterhole in a Zambian national park and wanted to hear what the experts thought the best approach would be.

I was thinking of a network cam that was standalone (not needing a PC to connect to) since that would save a lot of power (planning to use a solar panel).

As far as the internet connection is concerned: a VSAT satellite dish works at the main lodge with decent speeds but the webcam location would be few kilometres away... Is a new dish necessary or is there some new tech (WiMAX?) that could save a lot of cash?
Thanks

Old 07-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Default Re: Setting up a remote network cam 2 monitor wildlife

WiMax reaches long distances, but is pricier and is it an option for you where you are talking about anyways ?

Old 07-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Setting up a remote network cam 2 monitor wildlife

Been checking that out and the Zambian companies seem to only cover the capital city though I'll have to phone to be sure because their website is completely useless! I doubt they'll have it...

Do you know about the what technology is compatible with what type of camera? i.e. can any webcam type thing connect to a WiMax network without the need for a computer?
Closed Thread