Setting up a remote network cam 2 monitor wildlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwana

Beta member
A part networking, part general set up question:

I want to set up a remote streaming webcam overlooking a waterhole in a Zambian national park and wanted to hear what the experts thought the best approach would be.

I was thinking of a network cam that was standalone (not needing a PC to connect to) since that would save a lot of power (planning to use a solar panel).

As far as the internet connection is concerned: a VSAT satellite dish works at the main lodge with decent speeds but the webcam location would be few kilometres away... Is a new dish necessary or is there some new tech (WiMAX?) that could save a lot of cash?
Thanks

WiMax reaches long distances, but is pricier and is it an option for you where you are talking about anyways ?

Been checking that out and the Zambian companies seem to only cover the capital city though I'll have to phone to be sure because their website is completely useless! I doubt they'll have it...

Do you know about the what technology is compatible with what type of camera? i.e. can any webcam type thing connect to a WiMax network without the need for a computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom