Server box

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoeHammer

Beta member
Title says it all. I want to purchase a server box to host multiplayer servers for PC games. I know there are sites that rent them, but would it be cheaper to buy a prebuilt one and have it shipped to my house or maybe find a tutorial on how to build one.

which games? how many users? how much bandwidth is required?

dell and hp sites are good places to start. look for something within your budget. i think you're gonna get killed on bandwidth tho. a hosted solution provides bandwidth much cheaper.

also check with your ISP. you may violate TOS if you're on a residential line. you may get a cease and desist letter. or they may discontinue service.

You can build a server with regular computer parts. You don't need a $2,000+ server to run a game.

Edit: Yeah, what Office said.

Well I really want a 64 person, I'm not tech inclined enough to know anything about bandwith, or much of anything other than PC parts. Im just starting to learn all this, hence why i want to go prebuilt. I know 64 slots would be alot, and my max budget is like $150. 32 would be fine.

I think that's a typo. You can't get much for $150.

Look at getting a dedicated server from online suppliers. At their datacenter, their Internet is faster than yours. Upload and download is much faster. Will have to pay so much per month, but it's easier.

http://www.ixwebhosting.com/vps-hosting

I have used them before, not their VPS, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom