server

Status
Not open for further replies.

j3wcl@w

Baseband Member
now i know what you are all thinking dumb ******* but i have never been in contact with one i know we have one at work so if someone can tell me what one is i would be most grateful thx

In a nutshell, a server is (usually) a higher powered computer with several hard drives and often multi processors. It runs server OS and allows client computers to connect to it for applications, data storage etc. It doesn't HAVE to be a high end piece of equipment, but in a work environment it normally is. You can use just about any computer as a server as long as it meets minimum system requirements for the software/hardware you want to use.

you built your own PC, im suprised to be honost

sorry to be mean about it, but i understand, i was the same way

yeah, thares idiffrent types of servers

some severs host websites, games, files, muisc (streaming), bittorrent, and some servers act as a processor / ram / HDD for some computers called thin clients (im not shure if any are around to be honost.)

ya like I wanna run a game server which is just a mid performance machine that I can be a host and admin for a game. I would also be able to store music and stuff on it so everyone on my home network would be able to access it.

hehe, look into server racks...

so far i have looked into 3, one with 2 600mhz CPU's and windows server 2003 with 2 terabytes, one with 2 intel xeons daul core, 8gb of RAM, and 5 terabyte of storate, and the last one was 2 AMD FX-60s with 8gb of RAM and 5 terabytes of storage. yay for power!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom