I'm running:

Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 3800+
2.0gigs of corsair performance ram
Windows XP Pro SP2
BFG NVIDIA 6800
on PCI Express 16x
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2S

now, with these components, this computer should be BLAZING fast. In many instances, it is. However, randomally, i lose about 10 frames about once a second. Now, you would think, oh your running programs and resolutions and qualities that it cant support without chunking. i have tried every game i own on low and high resolutions with high and low grapics settings and i still get the chunking. occassionally, i even get chunking in windows. the mouse will stop for about .1 seconds, and then jump. its always the same pause, as if almost on a timer.

things we've tried:
1. tried barebone w/o soundcard, extra gaming port (joystick, midi input, etc)
2. tried different RAM
3. tried same and different RAM in the A slots
4. tried different input devices
5. tried all drivers, old, new and beta for
a. sound
b. graphics
c. mouse

havn't tried a new vid card, gonna do that now.

so we're stumped... it's very difficult for us to pinpoint this problem because the entire system gets "the glitch" as we've dubbed it. sound, mouse, graphics, everything... gets this pause. it doesn't seem to be a graphical ineptity, since there are non-graphic side effects too, such as the sound pausing at the EXACT same time.

The only ideas i have are bad motherboard, bad chip, bad video card (maybe, but sound glitching also seems to disprove that one), bad ram... yea i'm outa ideas. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would assume you have tried reinstalling windows? (if not, do that, but try my other suggestions first of corse....) also, I assume you have anti virus/ani spyware? if not, get AVG free edition and get spybot search and destroy. (search for both on google) download them, update both and scan with both.

sorry if it sounds like I think you may be a super noob, because I dont really nessisarlt, but you didnt specify.

try rinning your game with your computer started up in safe mode?
is it only slow in one game? or is it all games? do you get that pause while not in a game?

Im assuming your videocard isnt overclocked :).

try running your game with your computer started up in safe mode?

havn't tried re-installing windows.. sort of a last resort. I've done anti-virus and spyware scans.

i couldn't think of a game i could run in safe mode cuz of the lack of drivers. i'll try that now.

all temps are normal, actually quite cool for the components. and if it were the temperatures, i would be able to cause the issue.

also, i can force the issue to happen. i'm in CS, i hit a mouse button that isn't assigned. it kicks me out to windows and askes me to assign the key, then i alt-tab back into CS and it chunks. I can alt tab BACK into windows, and then windows itelf chunks... the mouse, everything.

Which graphics card do you have?

If its not that it is mostly likely your hard drive or lack of ram.

Write your system specs

turtile said:
Which graphics card do you have?

If its not that it is mostly likely your hard drive or lack of ram.

Write your system specs

PolarNature said:
I'm running:

Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 3800+
2.0gigs of corsair performance ram
Windows XP Pro SP2
BFG NVIDIA 6800
on PCI Express 16x
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2S

Status
Not open for further replies.