Serillel2 converter and another ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gospel

In Runtime
I just bought a Abit NF7-S motherboard for $39.99. I just couldn't pass it up because it is an upgrade from my present motherboard.
It came with a Serillel2 converter that hooks to a ATA hard drive where you can hook it up to the SATA connector on the mobo. Is there a big advantage for me to hook it up this way? I am running two hard drives so only one would be hooked to the SATA connector and it says it should be set to "master". My slave drive would be hooked to the normal IDE connector on the mobo. It it is still set to "slave" (it would have to since it doesn't have the OS on it). Is it possible to have a slave device be the only device on one IDE channel?

My second question is about Dual channel memory. The mobo supports optional dual channel memory. I am running 2x512mb of PC2100 memory. Do I have to have dual channel memory to run it in a dual channel configuration? If not will I be at an advantage to put 512mb on one channel and 512mb on the other or should I just run 1024mb on one channel?

Do not convert hard drives interfaces from SATA to IDE, or IDE to SATA

Their is abosuletly no advantage, and you can have problems with speed due to the conversion process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom