Serial Hard Drive Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 04:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Serial Hard Drive Problem

I recently upgraded my computer and installed a new board and chip 2.8mhz. I also bought a serial 80 gig drive. Kept the cd-rom drive that uses the standard ide ribbon cable

When trying to get the drive identified, I found I when the drive is identified the cd-roms ain't, and when I get the cd-rom identified, the drive is like not installed. Played around in the cmos used the various combinations and had no luck.

Also, when trying to install drive, I used a windows 98 boot disk with fdisk and format. I could only achive a 10 gig maximum amount use this method and don't know where the other 70 went.

Anyone gots any ideas

Old 03-02-2004, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

I had this problem on an old computer. Microsoft has a patch for correcting the problem with Fdisk only recognizing 10GB and not seeing the rest on disk over 70GB. Try http://support.microsoft.com/default...44&Product=w98

Old 03-02-2004, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Okay will take a look.

The strange part is this only happens to this new serial type o drive. When using the fdisk,format on regular ide ribbon type drives it works fine. I could even do a 200gig drive in one partition.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

SATA supports a single device per SATA cable.it has a thinner and smaller connection. Have you checked HDD auto-detection in BIOS?
Old 03-02-2004, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes! changed setting numrous times and only drive or cdrom will work. Could not get both to work at the same time.

It a MSI board
Old 03-02-2004, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Did you check your jumpers (i.e. is HDD set as master or slave)?
Old 03-02-2004, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

yes..
Old 03-03-2004, 07:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

sorry mate, you might want to check with microbell, I hear he is the hardware guru.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

did you check to make sure there are no IRQ or I/O conflicts?
Old 03-03-2004, 01:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Don't think serial drives got irq settings.

I just don't think these new serial hard drives are so great. Don't seem to be compatable with regular ribbon type of hardware. (cdrom drives)

Closed Thread