Serial ATA vs Parallel (IDE) Drives (Help!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie79

Beta member
It's been a while since I went shopping for a new computer and I wasn't even aware of the existence of a different kind of hard drive hookup, serial ata. But it seems like 90 percent of the new computers have that setup now. I bought a new computer and it has the serial ata hard drive in it, and the only parallel (ide) hookup on the board is being used by the 2 dvd drives. I need to get all my data from my old computer to the new one but I also wanted to keep my hard drive in the new computer. By the way I'd prefer not to get into networking and it wouldn't solve the problem of not being able to keep the other drive in the new computer. It's a 200 GB hard drive and I just got it last month! It would have given me 400 gigs total storage if I could have used both the new drive and my drive in the new computer. How come the office stores seem to still being selling the old parallel or ide hookup while all computers have the serial ata hookup? Very frustrating to find that a drive purchased a few weeks ago couldn't just be dropped into an open bay in the new computer because it's incompatible!. So can anyone help me with this?

Well if there's only two DVD drives, then put both of them on one IDE cable and into IDE2. Take your old hard drive you want the data off of and put it on IDE1....it should hook in there fine. SATA is just faster and has smaller cables, and no doubt Serial ATA PORT is first in the Boot order so it'll still load your OS from the SATA drive, but you will also be able to see your IDE drive.

There's only one ide slot on the motherboard. The dvd drives are on one cable (one a master, one a slave) hooked into the only ide slot on the board.

Well then you can either get a SATA adapter for your IDE hard drive, or you could temporarily remove one of the dvd drives so you can get the data off of it, but this would obviously mean you'd either have to sacrifice a DVD drive or HD.

I believe they have IDE cabes which have 3 slots instead of the normal 2. Could be another option to look into

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom