Serial ATA and Ultra ATA

Status
Not open for further replies.
icemakr said:
But with all this aside, If I had the money to go out and get a nice SATA drive I'd spend it on a SCSI instead.
That'd be stupid.

Not only are SATA drives WAY cheaper, but they're replacing SCSI as the industry standard for both personal and server machine HDDs.

On the practical side, SATA is easier to use, easier to install, and for the price of a 20GB SCSI drive you could buy a 160GB SATA drive. Plus, if you've bought a recent motherboard, you've probably got SATA native support, which means you don't have to buy any controller cards or put up with bottlenecks. And you're dealing with new technology that's being worked with and advanced, verses an older technology that isn't defacto anymore.

ShoobieRat said:

If yer motherboard doesn't support SATA natively, you can get an addon card, but you'll experience a bottleneck in performance. Mobo's are so cheap now, and technology has moved so much recently, that yer better off just buying a whole new motherboard with native SATA support.

You really think there would be a bottleneck? PCI is faster than SATA, so theroretically there should be no bottleneck right? It's not the same as if you were to put a Firewire 800 card into a PCI slot, because there would be a bottleneck. But SATA caps at 150, and PCI much higher.

Him said:
You really think there would be a bottleneck? PCI is faster than SATA, so theroretically there should be no bottleneck right? It's not the same as if you were to put a Firewire 800 card into a PCI slot, because there would be a bottleneck. But SATA caps at 150, and PCI much higher.

The only bottlenecking you would suffer is the that your ATA133 drive would cap at 133 and you wouldn't get the 150. If you're just going with one drive, just use the IDE on your board and don't bother with an adapter.

ATA133 isnt going to hit 150, that is SATA. He is talking about getting a SATA controller card and putting that into a PCI slot. I was talking about the theoretical bottleneck from the SATA card and the PCI slot. I dont think there will be one, but I could be wrong. Any ideas?

Him said:

The bottleneck is caused by the SATA to IDE conversion

And 133 isnt the mhz, I think current IDE is like dual channel, the 133 is the bandwidth (which is bytes*frequency)

And *golf clap* for shoobie, you have done really well and had some good explaining

Posted by ShoobieRat
Not only are SATA drives WAY cheaper, but they're replacing SCSI as the industry standard for both personal and server machine HDDs
SATA is a simpler technology than what its replacing, and can appear more beneficial to the average person. Would'nt that alone be enough to promote SATA, or anything else for that matter. Industry standard? These are International Corporations we're talking about, they're going to promote new products they believe will bring in maximum increase of revenue. And if they can provide a product better than what most people have, let's say ATA-133, and almost as good as a Ultra320 SCSI you bet it's going to get WELL promoted, and why, because it'll make the biggest profits with minimal investment. They know it's true, and you'd be naive if you truely thought otherwise. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this new wave of SATA's, I just think it's a little premature to say that just because something's industry standard makes it a better product and to be considered "stupid" to think otherwise. For sake of debate, would you consider a Mercedes AMG or E-class to be the Industry standard, I would hope not. But because Daewoo says that their cars meet all safety requirements and is more practical, you'd actually have the gaul to say Daewoo is just as good or better? They do sell a lot of cars that are "INDUSTRY STANDARD" because they're more practical for the masses, not because the product is better.

icemakr said:
SATA is a simpler technology than what its replacing, and can appear more beneficial to the average person. Would'nt that alone be enough to promote SATA, or anything else for that matter. Industry standard? These are International Corporations we're talking about, they're going to promote new products they believe will bring in maximum increase of revenue. And if they can provide a product better than what most people have, let's say ATA-133, and almost as good as a Ultra320 SCSI you bet it's going to get WELL promoted, and why, because it'll make the biggest profits with minimal investment. They know it's true, and you'd be naive if you truely thought otherwise. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this new wave of SATA's, I just think it's a little premature to say that just because something's industry standard makes it a better product and to be considered "stupid" to think otherwise. For sake of debate, would you consider a Mercedes AMG or E-class to be the Industry standard, I would hope not. But because Daewoo says that their cars meet all safety requirements and is more practical, you'd actually have the gaul to say Daewoo is just as good or better? They do sell a lot of cars that are "INDUSTRY STANDARD" because they're more practical for the masses, not because the product is better.

...Hard-drive conspiracy...? Just when I thought I'd heard it all...

SATA is cheaper to implement, very reliable, very easy to configure and use, hot-swappable, and relatively fast. Going to SATA over IDE is a given. Going to SATA verse going to SCSI is just money smart. Why fork out all that money for a fraction of the drive space, and for a drive that is hardly more stable than SATA, and for a technology no longer being updated.

Companies are replacing SCSI and IDE with SATA because the switch is just smart. It costs less (a LOT less), is easy to implement, offers comparable performance and stability, and has growth potential.

There's no SATA Illuminati, buddy. It's just good technology. SATA doesn't need some covert corporate movement...it can sell itself.

Him said:
ATA133 isnt going to hit 150, that is SATA. He is talking about getting a SATA controller card and putting that into a PCI slot. I was talking about the theoretical bottleneck from the SATA card and the PCI slot. I dont think there will be one, but I could be wrong. Any ideas?

Riiight.. that's what I was saying. My point was that he wasn't going to face ANY bottlenecking, except for the 133 not hitting 150 - obviously ATA133 will never be able to hit 150.

No, PCI will not bottleneck his ATA133 any further.

ShoobieRat said:
...Hard-drive conspiracy...? Just when I thought I'd heard it all...

SATA is cheaper to implement, very reliable, very easy to configure and use, hot-swappable, and relatively fast. Going to SATA over IDE is a given. Going to SATA verse going to SCSI is just money smart. Why fork out all that money for a fraction of the drive space, and for a drive that is hardly more stable than SATA, and for a technology no longer being updated.

Companies are replacing SCSI and IDE with SATA because the switch is just smart. It costs less (a LOT less), is easy to implement, offers comparable performance and stability, and has growth potential.

There's no SATA Illuminati, buddy. It's just good technology. SATA doesn't need some covert corporate movement...it can sell itself.

Well, there could be a consipiracy, but I highly doubt it. Lets not forget that the RAID technology was developed by those wicked smart kids at MIT... you never know what they're up to..

:rolleyes:

smileygladhands said:
Well, there could be a consipiracy, but I highly doubt it. Lets not forget that the RAID technology was developed by those wicked smart kids at MIT... you never know what they're up to...

Yeah, but just like SATA, RAID didn't need a conspiracy to sell. It was/is just great stuff.

Besides, who really is that concerned that there might be a HDD or RAID conspiracy? Whether there is or isn't, who cares? RAID and SATA are cheap, they work great, and they're great new technology...what's there to worry about? Hell, the Illuminati can sell me hard-drives all they want. If they're as good as SATA, I'll take'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom