Serial ATA and Ultra ATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
Which one is better? Which is more common? Because I'm planning to buy a HD and its a serial ATA, and I need an adaptor for that. Which would you recommend?

Ultra ATA is IDE I think, and SATA is a whole diferent thing. I believe that UATA is ATA133, correct me if I'm wrong. SATA is really fast, up to 150 MB/s, and SATA II is 300 MB/s.

That is correct. Ultra ATA133 is the fastest IDE connection. SATA is faster than all IDE. ATA can be 66, 100, and133. SATA is 150, and SATA II is 300.

It's only 300mBps accordng to the SATAII guidelines

Anyways, never use a converter unless you have to. If you dont have SATA ports, get IDE

b1gapl said:
What about an SATA adaptor?
Not recommended. IDE to SATA adapters create a bottleneck, plus the ability to find fully native SATA drives is as easy as finding IDE drives now. It used to be an issue, but not anymore.

If yer motherboard doesn't support SATA natively, you can get an addon card, but you'll experience a bottleneck in performance. Mobo's are so cheap now, and technology has moved so much recently, that yer better off just buying a whole new motherboard with native SATA support.

SATA is really fast, up to 150 MB/s, and SATA II is 300 MB/s.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ATA-133 hard drives run at 133Mhz, right? If so when you see the actual numbers 133 for ATA and 150 for SATA they're talking about 2 diferent forms of measurement?

But with all this aside, If I had the money to go out and get a nice SATA drive I'd spend it on a SCSI instead. I'd kick myself in the ass for even thinking SATA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom