serial ATA and RAID - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2004, 12:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to spedmetal
Default serial ATA and RAID

I have a Asus P4G8X mother board that has a silicon image serial ATA controller build into the motherboard with RAID capability. What I want to know is if I can set the 2 serial ATA HDD drives to RAID 1 (Mirroring) and have the mirrored set be the back-ups for my main IDE HDD. This way I would have redundancy in my back-ups of my main boot HDD with C:\windows and everything else.

This is where it gets tricky. Lets say the main IDE drive crashes, I now have 2 mirrors of my C: drive but they are a serial ATA RAID set. Can I simply plug one into the IDE slot and boot from it. Now I know what your thinking already "No dumb (bleep) because serial ATA and IDE dont even have the same plugs!" Well I have 2 of these hooked up to both my serial ATA cables that changes it from SATA to IDE

So I really have 2 IDE mirrors of my C: can I simply plug one of them into my IDE boot slot and boot it up just like normal? Or will it not boot the mirror because its a SATA format or some (bleep)?

This is all theory and I dont have it set up like this yet and dont want to purchase all the hardware just to find out that it wont work. I do have the adapters but before I purchase the HDD's I wanted to get some ones opinion on if this setup will even work.

Thanks for any input.

Old 12-21-2004, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to spedmetal

Old 12-21-2004, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to Roshi229 Send a message via Yahoo to Roshi229

friend (8:42:05 PM): nope -- won't work
Roshi229 (8:42:11 PM): i didn't think so
Roshi229 (8:42:22 PM): that just sounds wrong...
friend (8:42:24 PM): the mirrors are not images -- they are BIOS level RAID 1
Roshi229 (8:42:30 PM): yeah...
friend (8:42:49 PM): different than mirrors in the OS - which WOULD wrk
Roshi229 (8:43:48 PM): ok, so if he imaged them through the OS, he could just plug in the other and rebuild...
friend (8:43:56 PM): mirror in the OS will work, but takes cpu to mirror. Mirror on the motherboard is good redundency but won't work without the SATA RAID controller
friend (8:44:02 PM): yep he could
friend (8:44:06 PM): do it all the time
friend (8:49:13 PM): the SATA level RAID miror will not be properly translated by the IDE controller even if the cable matching is overcome

sorry i couldn't answer it, but hope this helps... i learned a thing or two.

<form action=\"\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search first, ask later!\"></form>