Serial ATA connection troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arumuni

In Runtime
Okay. I just got all my parts in finally yesterday, and today, i have a few things that stumped me. I will however create seperate threads for those.

First, i noticed this thing called the Serial ATA, and i plugged one end into the SATA1 slot, which is the second down. For some reason the SATA2 is above and before it. Anyways. Now where am i supposed to hook up the other end!? The book says to the Hard drive, however, i cannot seem to fit it anywhere! Can someone help!?

Arumuni said:
Okay. I just got all my parts in finally yesterday, and today, i have a few things that stumped me. I will however create seperate threads for those.

First, i noticed this thing called the Serial ATA, and i plugged one end into the SATA1 slot, which is the second down. For some reason the SATA2 is above and before it. Anyways. Now where am i supposed to hook up the other end!? The book says to the Hard drive, however, i cannot seem to fit it anywhere! Can someone help!?

You bought a motherboard that supports serial ATA hard drives, but you don't have a serial ata hard drive it sounds like.

so either:

1) there is also an IDE controller on the motherboard, just attach your hard drive to that and leave the serial ata connection alone

2) there is no IDE controller, and you'll have to buy a IDE controller that snaps into your PCI Bus

3) buy the right motherboard for your situation

I thought you got an IDE hard drive, this means you plug it into the IDE host, not the SATA host.

Check your receipt to see if it's a SATA or an IDE hDD. As the guys have said, it seems like you didn't get the HDD you wanted. The "input slot" on the SATA HDD should be very visible.

How you want to proceed is upto you. The performance different IMO is not that much between IDE and SATA for a typical 7200 rpm drive. Which I assume is what u have. If I got the wrong HDD, I'd RMA it only if it doesn't cost me extra money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom