Serial ATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

RicoDirenzo

Fully Optimized
Hello: I tried to ask this question earilier but it was either too dumb or ? I have just installed, formated and setup xp pro on a WD 250 gig Sata. I have an existing 200 gig IDE. Can I install that drive ide pata as a slave on the IDE cable and have the sata drive remain as the boot hd? Or do I need another SATA as a slave. If the IDE dirve is placed in the master position on the ata
cable I presume that XP will look to that drive as the boot master and not the SATA dirve? I'll experiment if no one wants to respond. Thanks! Rick

In SATA world, every HDD is considered a master.
Your BIOS settings would require some tunning.
Find the option for selecting the HDD Boot Priority.

Thanks....I suspect I will do a CMOS config? Addtionally, If I use the ide as a "slave" I shoud still place it on the ide 1 calbe as if it were a master? Thanks for your response.

I think if you just set the IDE drive as a slave you should be fine. Nothing true tricky involved. Just make sure the SATA drive is plugged into the primary SATA connector on the mobo.

hkfnstang said:
primary SATA? you mean SATA 0?
Most likely that is it. Most mobos have certain SATA connecters defined as primary and others defined as secondary (slave). All this means is that it is pre set in the BIOS to be the primary (boot) drive.

Just try hooking up the IDE drive as a slave and see if it works. You should be fine.

you mean set the jumper on the hard disk as slave??

doubt it will help, because SATA use a different channel other than the IDE, so the jumping setting on the IDE won't affect in this matter.

if you look in BIOS, you will see SATA and IDE are seperated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom