Sempron 64 or Athlon XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthraX

Daemon Poster
I was wondering which processor would be better for a computer that's just going to be dedicated to playing music, and some videos.

My options are a Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton Core) or any Sempron 64.

Would the Sempron 64 be of benifit because it's 64-bit? I figure some of the lower Sempron 64's won't be competition for the Athlon XP 2600+, but would say the 3000+ or the 3100+ be a performance difference?

ID go with the sempron its 64 bit so will be good for the future and is a nice little runner :) go for an AMD sempron 64 3000+ faster clock speed , bigger FSB but id wait for other opinions before buying i could be completly wrong :D

ok I think I might change my mind lol they seem pretty equal and not much difference. The sempron 64 does have a built in memory controller. It also depends on your motherboard if you have socket A go with the xp if you have 754 then go with sempron 64. Although i doubt theres much difference if your on a budget. If you have some extra money you can buy a socket 939 with an althon 64 3000+ venice core its not that expensive.

AnthraX said:
I figure some of the lower Sempron 64's won't be competition for the Athlon XP 2600+.

Those little sempron's actually kick some but,I'm running a 2600+ Sempron @ 2.1ghz and in Sandra bench's it score's right up there with 3200+ cpu's :D

Well I don't want to overclock. Will the 64-bit extenstions give the Sempron a big boost over the Athlon XP for my media PC?

it depends, you wont have windows 64 yet and i doubt many will bother, few games are 64 so I dont think it will make a huge difference at the moment. And by the time every application is 64 and games you will probably need to upgrade your whole pc anyway.

Well I'm not really too worried about it being 64-Bit, but from the knowledge that I have, I thought that the AMD CPU's with 64-bit extensions have higher performance than ones with only 32-bit. The computer is going to be only used to play music and movies to my current surround sound setup. I just want to know, which processor will give me the overall best performance.

Yeah, I'm planning on going with the Sempron 64, but I got one more question. Which Sempron 64 would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom