security cameras

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
Hi, i need a crash course on security cameras. my 13 year old daughter has been increasingly concerned about noises she keeps hearing out side of her bedroom window. i am 95% certain that it is simply small animal(s) doing what they do in the dark. as i have scared rabbits and cats out from that area several times, but she keeps thinking it is a person.
i do not need a large system, but it will have to be a "see in the dark" camera, and be able to be used year round. fortunately there is a nice overhang corner i can mount it in, which will allow a clear view of her exterior bedroom window area. wireless would be nice, but going up on a ladder to change batteries all of the time would not be acceptable.
i would prefer something that i would be able to view from my computer, as i do not own anything that is Apple or Android. i wouldn't mind another camera facing the front door, but that would be more of a luxury than a necessity.
in the odd chance that it happens that someone is out there, (we happened to have a convicted sex offender move into a home down the road a few houses, but i refuse to jump to that conclusion w/o proof) i would like to be able to capture a clear image to give to the police day or night. i am not sure how many pixels i would need for this.

Any kind of networked security camera...make sure it's either firewalled off from the external network, or you change the default login credentials...because there's sites out there dedicated to scraping the web, and making unsecured cameras easily viewable.

If you want a self hosted solution, 1080p Amcrest WiFi cameras can be had for less than $70 on sale. You can use a program like Zoneminder to record the camera, detect motion, etc

all i want to do is be able to look at the immediate area around her bedroom window, at night. actually i could even run it to her computer, so she could see what is going on out there. so it could be wired directly to her computer. to put her fears to rest, so she can sleep easy. a fixed location, (zoom-able camera would be nice) that has night vision is all i need. i do not need an entire security system to record 24=7=365. the real problem is i can not get out of the house without making more than enough noise to scare someone into the next door lot that is completely overgrown with foliage thick enough to hide anything smaller than a giraffe or elephant. seriously, a bear could be 3 feet away from the fence and you would never see it w/o a thermal camera. the are i need to view is about 12 feet by 20 feet. if it wasn't for lawsuits, the easy way to deal with this would be a roll or razor wire. if it was not for reflections from the window itself of the blinds and curtains, i could just point a $20.00 web cam out the window. although i don't know that they have night vision. i have looked at a real home security system several times (not because of this reason). but they are just to expensive.

Back
Top Bottom