secondary fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
I am interested in getting a secondary fan. does this fan plug into the main power (the molex connector), does it have a connection to the mobo in anyway.

can you guys/gals recommend a good secondary fan?

just about any 10mm fan will work fine - yes it plugs into mulex and you can mount it on your case - i currently have 7 fans in my 2.6ghz radeon 9800 pro and it runs pretty cool. Kind of loud but it is definatly a good idea to get fans - it give your pc parts a longer life.

you mean 10cm?
10mm is kind of small isn't it

i thoguht the secodary fan would be similar in size to the power supply fan

I think you're looking for 80mm fans. they are the most common. They generally have two methods for connecting to a power supply. One will be the molex connector and the other will connect directly to the motherboard (if the mobo has another place to plug a fan into.)

If you're looking for a good fan, most of them have a rated lifespan of about 50,000 hours. I like my machine to be quiet so i go with the Vantec Stealth. They don't push as much air as some other fans but they are quiet. (about 22 decibles.) :)

is there a performance difference between the two fans
i.e. the one with the molex connector and the other which connect sdirectly to the motherboard

does the one that plugs directly into the motherboard draw its power from the motherboard, or gets some sort of control signal from the mobo and gets its power from the molex connector?

usually the fan comes with the 3 pin mb connector, but also with a molex adapter for it if needed, both will supply the same amount of power, its you preference according to how many fans you want

There should be no difference in performance of the fan. It doesn't matter where it is plugged into.

When a fan is plugged into the motherboard, yes it draws it's power through the motherboard. No need to worry about this, if the motherboard has a plug for a fan, it was designed to power a fan from there.

The benefit to plugging a fan into the motherboard is that you should be able to see the fan speed. Most fans have a speed sensor on them and this info is given to the motherboard. My motherboard came with some hardware monitoring software that collects this data and displays it for you. However, i use MBM 5, which does the same thing. (MBM 5 = motherboard monitor 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom