Second HDD not showing full capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

renny2077

Baseband Member
Here is my problem:

I have 2 HDDs. One is 10GB and the other 40GB. I'm using the 10GB for my operating system (Win XP). However, after connecting the 40GB, XP only sees it as 10 GB. I checked the BIOS info on the drive and it recognizes it as 32GB. I have set the 2nd HDD as a slave. Did i get the pin settings wrong? Or is there something else I need to be doing? I've tried changing the pin settings but whatever position I place it, it still recognize as 10GB. What should I do?
My chipset is an Intel 815E. The current drive is a newly purchased Samsung SP series.

try getting a copy of partition magic, it will tell you whats going on. Mabye its not partitioned correctly, mabye it's os problem.

Ok, thanks. Could it just be that I've got the pin settings in the wrong place? If I change the pin setting, will the system recognize the change or would I have to unplug the HD and replug it back with the new pin settings?

Yup, it limits it to 32GB if its a 40GB. Change it to a slave, and f-disk it so that it has one big partition, what you've done is but a 10GB partition on the drive, pos thinking it was your drive 1! Use win xp cd, to do the f-disk, or start disk, and type fdisk.

Any probs just shout. - i dont know how computer literate you are.

It could also be a jumper setting. I know that some WD's and IBM hd's have a jumper that clips the capacity. I had this problem on my dad's IBM drive. I would check that then you will have to reformat it or get Partition Magic to merge partitions because
Windows will still only see 10GB.

It shouldn't be only 32GB. My 40GB disk is 37GB.

Try this: Start>run>diskmgmt.msc
and see if all 32GB is partitioned.

Thanks again. Jumper settings are in the right place. It probably is the partitioning. I don't think I did an fdisk on the drive.
I've heard some people say that you can connect the 2nd drive on the second cable and set it as master. The first drive with the OS is on the primary as master. Is this recommended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom