Second HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

odie072

Baseband Member
A friend just gave me a Hitachi 250GB ATA/IDE HDD that came out of a Sony VAIO. My intentions are to buy a HDD enclosure, and make a portable drive for my laptop. I first want to check it to make sure it works before I buy the enclosure. I have a P4 desktop with a SATA 120gb. Since I've never done this before, I just want to make sure I do it right. I'll set the jumpers on the second drive to slave, then hook it up, go into bios and set it as a slave. Will there be any problems since the master is a SATA and the slave is IDE?? The slave supposedly has XP on it, will that be a problem initially?? All I want to do is see if the drive works and see if anything on the drive I can use(there is also a video capture card that was on the VAIO I want to use), then reformat and put my XP on it.

If I've forgotten something please feel free to chime in. Also any advice will be appreciated.

odie072

Sata drives don't need master/slave jumper configurations.

As for IDE... it depends if you have any other devices connected to the same IDE slot. eg. like a dvd drive. etc.

If there are no other devices connected on the same cable, than set it to master. If there are other devices, most likely that other device will already be set to master and you'll need to set your hard drive to slave.

I think all you have to worry about is matching your drive enclosure to the drive, ie., just making sure the case can support the drive, which should be very very easy to determine

also it does not really matter the slave/master part...in that, you can set them up so you don't have to fiddle with bios...or leave them be and fiddle with bios settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom