Seagate Sata 160 missing space

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceshooter16

Baseband Member
Hey, I just installed a SATA Seagate 160 GB hard drive (ST3160827AS). It originally was only showing 127 GB's of space but using partition magic i was able to get that to 149 GB. However there are still 11 GB unaccounted for. I've been researching this for a good portion of the day but haven't found a solution. Any input would be great. Also, is there any way to get rid of the icon in my taskbar that is asking me to remove the harddrive? It just clutters the corner of my screen. Thanks!

your OS also takes up space... it makes sense for it to be at 149GB. I have a Seagate 120GB which shows as 109GB

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I thought but I wasn't sure. I was also just reading about slack space on the Hard Drive and that it can take up a decent amount of space. Can someone else confirm what Ankush09 said? Also any way to get rid of "safetly remove hardware" icon from my taskbar?

your hard drive is actually 160,000,000,000 bytes
1kb is actually 1024 bytes, not 1000
same for MB to KB, and GB to MB

so, divide 160,000,000,000 bytes by 1024 3 times, and you get
that's how many Gigabytes it is

The reason for that is because most companies use 1000 bytes=kb when advertising.

iceshooter16 said:
Hey, I just installed a SATA Seagate 160 GB hard drive (ST3160827AS). It originally was only showing 127 GB's of space but using partition magic i was able to get that to 149 GB. However there are still 11 GB unaccounted for. I've been researching this for a good portion of the day but haven't found a solution. Any input would be great. Also, is there any way to get rid of the icon in my taskbar that is asking me to remove the harddrive? It just clutters the corner of my screen. Thanks!
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/capacity/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom