Seagate to acquiring Maxtor

Status
Not open for further replies.
One has to question whether this will make the reliability of Maxtor drives go up, or the reliability of Seagate drives down

gaara said:
One has to question whether this will make the reliability of Maxtor drives go up, or the reliability of Seagate drives down

Yeah I am wondering about this too.

gaara said:

I'm a member of the Seagate Partnership Program for OEM builders and I got an email today explaining why they are aquiring Maxtor.

Basically they've wanted to expand there production facilities in asia. Maxtor resently built a few production facilities in asia. Maxtor also reported a loss last year of over 190 Million dollars. They basically can't keep up in the market with Seagate and Western Digital. So they've cooked up a deal and it looks like Seagate will aquire maxtor. From what i've read it seems like they will take over production facilities, drop the maxtor name and take over shop. They still haven't discussed what to do with the 20,000 maxtor employees as well as the maxtor infastructure. My guess is a few of the upper executives will probably be retained and become chairs on the Seagate Board of Directors. The rest of the employee? Who knows?

I think Seagate will only get better. But, that's just me.

Yeah, I saw this on dailyrotation.com today. All I can say is, more decent hard drives hitting the market is a good thing.

Maybe not for Western Digital...

They basically can't keep up in the market with Seagate and Western Digital.
yeah if they'd stop making ****** drives they could.

western digital is still good though...seagate and them are **** near neck and neck when it comes to reliability but a friend of mine and I have argued over this before, he says seagates rate of HD's breaking down is less than WD, a better 'track record' if you will........never looked into it myself, but either way I've had good luck with WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom