Seagate 1.5TB firmware update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I saw that. Good to see Seagate getting on top of the problem before it gets too ugly.

yeah i think im done with seagate...they used to be extremely good but too many reports of failures and i lost a 400gb drive which was still fairly new.

Hmm...I got a Barracuda 1.5TB for Christmas, firmware SD17, and never did anything to it. It works fine. I put it in a USB enclosure and threw a bunch of stuff on it. Not sure it's worth attempting the update since it appears to work fine.

Also, I read tons of bad reviews on 7200.11 drives and such, are these MECHANICAL or FIRMWARE issues? A lot of people are saying their drives are being bricked, but if it's just a firmware issue, a new firmware should be able to fix that pretty easily. A mechanical failure would render the entire drive useless and nothing you flash to the firmware would ever recover data. If it's all just firmware issues I don't see what the big deal is, wait for a firmware that fixes the issue and then flash it.

The people bricking their Seagates are probably updating firmware they don't have to... something about the C revision of firmware, if you try to update it you will brick it. I remember because I checked up to see if I should get the update, it said it right there on the page...

If it's anything other than that, well, crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom