Screen is Blurry -> Video Card Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisT

Solid State Member
Hi, I have been having a problem with my computer lately. The screen is blurry, or rather any time you have something dark on the screen, it streaks across horizontally.

It looks something like this.

I thought it was my monitor, so I bought a new one, and it looks exactly the same. My friend told me it might be a problem with the video card though. I took it out, blew off the dust with a can, and made sure it was firmly plugged into the motherboard (it's PCI). No help.

I also updated all of the drivers, and still it is the same.

Do you think my video card has just gone bad? Should I just replace it? Or could it be some other issue?

I am running an HP Pavilion, Athlon 1.1 ghz with an Nvidia 16 MB card (TNT2 I think).

Thanks in advance!

Re:

Hello,

I'd suspect your settings first. Make sure that your settings are set optimally, so good resolution, refresh rate, brightness, contrast etc.

Your graphics driver may be causing problems too. Try going directly into Safe Mode and see if the problem persists. If the display doesn't blur in safe mode, then it is most likely your driver.

If it does blur in Safe Mode, then it is most likely to be a physical issue with your graphics card. Make sure it is properly seated. Apart from that, it may need replacing.

There may be something I haven't mentioned yet though. So don't throw it away just yet! :D .

Still Blurry

I went ahead in safe mode, and get the same thing. Like I mentioned, it it definately seated properly.

I also just went through, and re-installed all of the nvidia drivers with no effect.

Methinks I'll just buy a replacent. They are selling for like $10 on ebay. If that doesn't work, I guess it will be the motherboard, hopefully not though.

Thanks

if you have an onboard vid card you could just take your pci card off, and plug your monitor in the other slot, see if it is the vid. card.

Re:

Hello,

ok....you might want to try using another monitor if possible. Your monitor may be dying.

Problem solved

Well, it was my video card. I bought a new (used) one on ebay, and it looks great. Big shout out to Circron Technologies on ebay.

Thanks for the advice from this board too.

If you checked your settings and hardware acceleration settings,then it sounds like to me that the video card is toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom