Screen is blank when I start PC - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Screen is blank when I start PC

I was previously having a problem with my computer, and decided to uninstall and (try to) reinstall the driver software. I went on the computer with the driver software gone, but my computer froze and i had to turn the computer off. I started up and the screen is absolutely blank. Nothing comes up, but some message that says the monitor is in safe mode, which is not important. So I obviously can not go back in at all and do anything. Would anyone know the solution to this problem? Thank you.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to jerry5739

is ur video card all the way in the slot?

Kingwin Muntant X Case
eVGA 6600 GT
Seagate 80 GB HD
Allied 420W PSU
Old 01-29-2005, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

sounds like the video card is either not seated properly, dead, and/or the monitor cable is not plugged in snug. If you get NOTHING like no BIOS then it is something related to the video card. If you have another cheap one lying around or another pc to temp yank one out of, plug that in and see if it works.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Pilotwings119 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotwings119

yeah make sure of that, and then try reseating it. make sure to check all the connections and make sure there are no bent pins.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Pilotwings119 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotwings119

wow, Win2kpatcher- we posted that at the same time

I had a problem similar to that on my computer a while ago. I couldnt get anything to come on the screen at all, no post beep, no sign of video at all. I tried swapping out many video cards to no avail. I finally solved the problem with a new processor. I guess my originial processor just plain didn't like the mobo! It fit the requirements for the mobo and all, but wouldn't work. it's running fine now.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

What if i have integrated graphics on the motherboard? Would that work as a replacement?
Old 01-30-2005, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well nvm about the integrated graphics. Guess you do need a graphics card to be able to connect the monitor somewhere.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Ramus

I had this same problem when I was using my ASUS P4P800 mobo with a Radeon 9800 Pro. The video would not start up at all, and I think it was the mobo not the card. It could also be a defective card though, I never found out for sure. (As I returned it and got my 210 bucks back!)

Closed Thread