scalpal! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2003, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default scalpal!

I've got an 80gb maxtor external firewire drive with lotsa mission critical data on it (it's full). Whenever I try to transfer information off of it I get a "cyclic redundancy error". The tech support guy at Maxtor had no idea what that meant.

So I've given up on trying to get the data off of it in a 'normal' fashion.

What I want to know is this...anyone ever cracked open an external drive? Is it just an IDE drive with a connector for firewire use?

Old 05-12-2003, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Cyclic Redundancy Check,,
The CRC is a very powerful but easily implemented technique to obtain data reliability. The CRC technique is used to protect blocks of data called Frames. Using this technique, the transmitter appends an extra n- bit sequence to every frame called Frame Check Sequence (FCS). The FCS holds redundant information about the frame that helps the transmitter detect errors in the frame. The CRC is one of the most used techniques for error detection in data communications. The technique gained its popularity because it combines three advantages:

Extreme error detection capabilities.
Little overhead.
Ease of implementation.

From everything that i understand this is a software issue,, possibly some file transfer did not complete correctly, or communications to the external disk was interrupted, ???

Regardless,, this is a small mathematical algorythm that double checks the integrity of the file,,

I have cracked one of those external drives open before,, and found that inside is just a hard drive in a bracket conneted to another controller card,, the problem that I ran into was that the case would not work correctly again until I put the exact Make and size HDD into it,, in my case, it too was a MAXTOR,,

It is not difficult to do,, just be careful,,

as for your error,, well look for a Software Corruption, or Communications problem...

Crash Abbott

\"You\'re the Disease, and I\'m the Cure!\"
Old 05-14-2003, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Easier than I thought. Got everything off of it that I needed.

Thanks CA.
Closed Thread