SATA vs SCSI for a server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, - I've had my hands on many SCSIs and recently SATAs. I LOVE SCSI a LOT. They are VERY nice, the only downside is the price, not the noise, I havn't noticed one bit of difference (I use seagates mostly).

BUT, the drives you are looking at are only 10,000rpm. For 400+ dollars more, the upgrade from SATA to SCSI is not that great. Granted you will have U320 running (good choice), to get the serious performance boost from SCSI you need to grab the 15,000rpm drives.

For this reason, even disregarding the fact that the SCSI option gives you less storage, I would say save the cash and go with the SATA option.

Good luck.

Native SATA's are cheaper, easier to use, and are new hardware that are becoming the standard for server hard-drives.

although the SATA drive is the new hot thing they are much harder to maintain then IDE or SCSI.And more expensive. I have a SATA drive and you will NEVER be able to install Windows if thats your plan.So hopefully you will be running Linux on the server. For good SCSI products go to tigerdirect.com and you can get a 200GB scsi drive for only $80!

Amd64Boy said:
although the SATA drive is the new hot thing they are much harder to maintain then IDE or SCSI.And more expensive. I have a SATA drive and you will NEVER be able to install Windows if thats your plan.So hopefully you will be running Linux on the server. For good SCSI products go to tigerdirect.com and you can get a 200GB scsi drive for only $80!
I think you're REALLY confused with something else, buddy.

SATA drives are easy as sin, they're cheap, they run fast, and if you RTFM they are just as easy to install Windows on as any other drive. In fact, if you have a motherboard bought within the last year, you don't have anything to worry about or do at all!

And where did you find a 200GB SCSI drive in TigerDirect.com (or ANY place for that matter) for only $80? Give us a link. That'd be a pretty fk'n amazing deal that I'd have to see to believe.

SATAs will be (and are) replacing the current server standard of SCSI, because of their ease of use, inexpensiveness, and incredible speed (when used properly with a native SATA BUS setup).

Not to mention that SATA-II is right around the corner for release.

Go with SATA in a raid 5

Your network will probolly start bottlenecking before the harddrives. Gigabit LAN and Raid 5 Seagates are a good combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom