SATA Raid question? help needed plz - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2005, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default SATA Raid question? help needed plz

Hey people
i have a Gigabyte K8VT800-Pro motherboard but its stuffed becos 2 of the 3 ram slots don't work. I need to buy a new motherboard but im not sure if i would lose my data from my HDD.

I have 2 x 120GB hard drives that are set in SATA Raid Stripe mode.

I was going to buy an ASUS motherboard with the exact same VIA chipset as my current motherboard.

Now if i bought the ASUS motherboard and installed my 2 HDD into it, would i lose all my data when i create a RAID drive on the new motherboard? Or will it just create a new boot sector?

i don't want to lose my data so i hope i won't lose it when i recreate raid on a different motherboard.

my specs are:
AMD Athlon64 754 pins 3200+
1024MB RAM (only one slot works so technically 512MB)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Motherboard = Gigabyte K8VT800 Pro..........(want to get Asus K8V SE-Deluxe)
Running Windows XP

thanks for all ur help.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

can someone please help me

Old 06-21-2005, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via ICQ to daappleby

you won't loose the data on the hard drives unless you format them. The chipset shouldn't matter either. Just make sure you have a raid controller on the new mobo. Once installed it should recognise the raid settings on the drives. You may have to do some tinkering with controller settings but it should be ok. If in doubt do a full backup and store the backup file off your machine (there are even online file storage sites that you can use. Get all your data, system state, and registry info. I don't think you will have any problems.

Help us Help you:

1) <b>RTFM</b>
2) Search TF using <b>more than one</b> keyword or combination of words
3) Post specific details. We need your computer specs, your OS, and any details from the error messages you get.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks daappleby. ill probably just back up my important stuff, and leech most things from friends that have them too, thanks again
Closed Thread