SATA Question - Silly Message

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm... I did find this, although it states u still setup as Raid, it should be for single config... go figure, but here is the post:

Hi All,

I confirm that it is now working :)

Seems that the correct drivers had not been provided on the motherboardÂ’s CD.

Single SATA drive configuration

For a single SATA drive configuration, this is how you will have to proceed :

Step 1
1- Download SIS Raid Drivers V 1.05 form Asus Download Center (Support for P4S800D) on
www.asus.it/support/download/select...l3_id=27&m_id=1&f_name=SiSRAID105.zip~zaqwedc

2- Take a formatted diskette and put it in your floppy
3- After decompressing, go into Driver Disk Section and click on MakeDisk.exe
4- The software will copy the necessary files on the diskette

Step 2
1- Setup the BIOS of you motherboard to boot on CD-ROM (Boot Device Priority) and put the Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM drive
2- At the beginning of the Windows XP installation, you are prompted to press F6 to install a RAID driver (you have about 10 seconds to do this), press F6.
3- After a short while, your are asked to specify a RAID driver
4- Put your floppy diskette into the Floppy Disk Drive and press « S »
5- You then have the choice for 4 drivers, choose Windows XP SATA/RAID Drivers for SIS964
6- Your SATA drive is recognized and you can now proceed in the Windows installation.
In the manual, they advice to format your NTFS partition as standard (not NTFS quick).

The SATA HDD is already setup. He is just getting a bypassable message indicating that the second SATA HDD cannot be found. And the reason for that is because the HDD is not on the native channel, therefore it is trying to locate the second HDD (RAID). It is very simple to resolve, as he just needs to switch the port that the HDD is currently connected to - And make sure that there are not any RAID configurations present.

ah. well, like I said I'm still on the ol' fashioned EIDE. I thought something in the bios, though, allowed for a Raid configuration setup and that maybe he had that option enabled.

Its not a problem with setting it up, as agex says its just the message im getting.

I have not setup any Raid configurations at all, though i looked a the utility and there is no option for single drive.

The only option the BIOS has is for SATA enabled or disabled, no option to disable the second channel

Did you switch the SATA port that the HDD is connected to? Changing the channel is not software-based.

Yes, when i connected it to the other SATA port i got a similar message that just said

Primary Master: no drive found
Secondary Master: Maxtor 160gb etc etc

Press Ctrl+S to enter control wotsit, or Esc to stop waiting.

Before the message was the same but the drive was found on primary master. When i enter the setup by pressing Ctrl+S theres nothing i can do, its all about setting up a RAID, and I can do nothing with only one disk connected

That is not an error message. They are simply indicating that you have a SATA HDD present, and you can configure a RAID setup by pressing Ctrl+S.

I get the same message when I boot up my system. It comes up for less than 5 seconds right before the O/S boots, however it is passive - Meaning, I don't have to press anything to continue.

It causes the logo screen to hang as it is searching for the second drive. Then it stays on the message screen. I realise its not an error but there must be a way of getting rid of it

Perhaps that was the way the motherboard was made. There is nothing else it could be...

1) Your SATA HDD is on the native channel.
2) You do not have any RAID configurations present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom