SATA Question: HDD, CD/DVD, RAID ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

YanBooth

Daemon Poster
Q1) I was wondering if I could put two 74 GB estern Digital 10,000 RPM Raptor's in RAID (Which type of RAID is best?), and if I can, how do I do this?
Q2) If I can put the two WD's in RAID, can I have a mass storage hard drive that is also SATA that is NOT in RAID in the system?
Q3) Will there be any compatability difficulties if I do have RAID, a mass storage Hard Drive, and then a Plextor SATA CDRW/DVDRW there too?

Note: I am planning this system on Nvidia nForce 4 SLI (Multi GPU), and that has 8 SATA connections, so no need to worry there...

Thanks in advance for help!

Yan N. Booth

A1) Yes, you can. You need a RAID controller to do this. Hook up the drives, and install drivers in XP. RAID0 (striping) is best for performance. RAID1 (mirror) is for backing up)
A2) Yes
A3) Dunno

Thanks Major!
Q4) Do you think that I should opt for another 250 GB SATA Drive?

Anyone else know about Q3?

Thanks in advance, again

Yan N. Booth

TheMajor said:
RAID0 (striping) is best for performance. RAID1 (mirror) is for backing up)

With RAID 1, does it make a copy on both drives? I know that in RAID 0 if one drive dies you may kiss your data goodbye, but what is the differance for RAID 1?

I like the idea of RAID 0, but I can't set up RAID before I install XP then?

Thanks a 3rd time in advance

Yan

RAID0. The data is divided over both drives for faster acces/read/write speeds.

RAID1. A copy from disk A is saved on disk B in realtime. U screw it, don't lose it.

RAID0+1. Backs up 2 drives from a RAID0 array on 2 drives in a RAID1 array.

You need a floppy with drivers to install XP on a RAID configuration.

TheMajor said:
RAID0+1. Backs up 2 drives from a RAID0 array on 2 drives in a RAID1 array.
So, could I have the 10,00 RPM drives in RAID 0, and then have the two 250 GB Hiatachi's in RAID 1 backing the RAID 0 drives up, AND acting as mass storage device?
Sorry about all the questions, but this is something I have been wanting to know for a long time, and I finaly found someone (you) that actually knows something about it!
TY
Yan Booth

You can if your motherboard (RAID controller) supports it. The drives need to be same size and you will only have 250GB, not 500. Should work. I am not a pro on this. Maybe someone else can give more info on setting up a RAID0+1 :)

Well, put it this way, is there any point bothering with RAID 0+1? Or would RAID 0 be fine?
Thanks
Yan

I would rather use RAID1 unless you need high performance. Or don't use RAID at all if you want to have more space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom