SATA problems on ASUS P4C800- E Deluxe Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefunkymunky

Beta member
Hi guys

I have a few problems trying to install a Maxtor 160GB SATA HD 6Y160M0 on my system.

I currently have:

Primary IDE channel;
Seagate HD - Master
DVDRW - Slave

Secondary IDE channel;
Seagate HD - Master
DVDROM - Slave

Now yesterday I hooked up the new Maxtor to my SATA1 port on the mobo, not RAID or anything just plain SATA. The one controlled by the Intel ICH5R not Promise PDC20378.

Anyway, booted the system, went into the BIOS to check settings. IDE config was set to Enhanced. Mode support was SATA. Configure as RAID was No. BootRom Disabled.

Rebooted and noticed that the new HD was not detected in the BIOS but went on to boot Windows and it installed the required drivers for the controller and mounted the new Maxtor HD. Fine I thought no need to worry.

I then used MaxBlast to clone my existing Seagate C:\ drive to the new Maxtor SATA. Everything went OK.

I then rebooted, went into the BIOS but the new Maxtor was nowhere to be seen again. Checked all my settings. Everything seems OK. Booted into Windows and the Maxtor wasn't there either? No Intel SATA controllers visable in Device Manager either. Where has it all gone? I have checked all settings, Asus site, Maxtor site, Googled, but have found nothing.

Is there something I am obviously doing wrong here. Now the thing is the Maxtor has sometimes appeared in the BIOS and not others, but I can't get Windows to recognise it anymore.

I am using the latest BIOS v. 1021 I believe. I don't think there is any new firmware for the Maxtor, at least I can't find any.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what can be wrong here.

Thanks.

I think one of the IDE channels must be disabled. Not 100% sure though. Just an idea I think I heard somewhere.

Hi Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that I also tried it with nothing connected on the IDE channels except my DVDRW drive but still nothing. Im very confused as to why it doesn't work anymore when it did first time.

Well stripping the system down hasn't worked either or changing to the Promise controller. Not sure whether it's a Mobo or HD problem now. Emailed Maxtor and Asus with the problem.

Trying to get the HD RMA'd right now but since they need a code from their PowerMax software and PMax doesn't detect the drive, will have to wait a response by email.

Anyway I wait and see. Hope its not the Mobo that needs replacing. :angry: :eek:

m3incorp said:
Did you install the SATA drivers for your motherboard?

Tried everything. Intel controller, Promise controller, with drivers, without drivers, differrent SATA ports.

Not sure why it worked when I first hooked it up but it doesn't work anymore. Thats why I'm thinking the HD is dead now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom