SATA install question

Status
Not open for further replies.

synergy

Fully Optimized
See sig for specs...Everything is coming today except the 250GB hard drive. I am going to proceed with the build, but my question is this: I've never dealt w/ SATA drives before, and my understanding of them is that you have to install the drivers when installing Windows. If I build everything and install Windows, then the drive comes in two days how will i get it to be recognized by Windows? Will the drivers already be there so it is just a plug and play? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Modern M/boards should recognise SATA as a boot drive. You may need to update your BIOS though - fairly easy but don't do it unless you have to, very rare but it can go wrong. Windows will probably load drivers but they are not necessary to load windows as this would be a bit of a catch 22 situation if your new system only had SATA drive.
I would load windows onto the SATA drive anyway if it has better specs than your Raid as this is where your swap file will go. Is the Raid IDE or SCSI?

all drives are SATA. The OS will go on the 2 80's in a RAID then the 250 is just for storage. So I am going to build and install Windows on the 2 80's. Then when the 250 comes I was just going to put it in (if it's that simple).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom