SATA install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbreevesii

Baseband Member
i went to install my new 160 gb sata hdd yesterdday. everything went prettywell with the exception of one problem. in my bios i have several opitons when it comes to the integrated sata system. there is disabled, auto, combined, enhanced, and sata only. disabled is well, sata disabled. combined i think shows the sata drive as being an ide(effectively taking up one of your ide slots), enhnaced runs sata and ide for a total 6 channels, and sata only totally disables ide in favor of sata. my problem is this. the only way that i can seem to get it to boot to my new hdd is to run it in either sata mode or in combined mode. in the other modes it will not work properly. it will try to boot to my other drives. my intent is to run my old hdd's in conjunction with my new one for a while until i make the full switch. i have 2 ide hdd's and 2 cd drives that i want to run as well as running the sata drive. when i run it in combined mode it makes the sata drive take either primary master or secondary master ide slots. i havn't tried running it on secondary master as of yet, but with it on primary the only working ide device that i have is one of my cd drives. its just all f'ed up. any suggestions guys?

Consult your mobo manufacturer (by email if possible) on how to do this with the mobo you have. Some boards, I know, can't have both SATA and IDE running at once.

My current system has two SATA's setup as the primary boot drives, with 2 IDE HDD and 2 CDs setup as secondary. I didn't really do anything except setup the SATA chain as the primary in the boot order. Then again, my mobo is brand new...so the technology has evolved a bit since the "dark-ages" of SATA.

my mobo is less than a year old so the tech is fairly up to date. as for the possibility of not being able to run both, neg. as i said in my first post, there is a setting called enhanced that allows you to run both ide channels as well as your sata channels. if one is avaliable i am going to try a bios update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom