SATA Incompatibilitys

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRed

Beta member
Hey everyones

I got a new 160 GB Western Digital 7200 SATA hard drive about fortnight ago and it's been giving me grief ever since. [See original setup below] I originally intended to get rid of my old 40 GB Maxtor HD, format all the drives, put Windows on the 160 GB SATA and have my old 80 GB IDE for multimedia storage (music, movies, installers).

Having never used SATA drives before, I just installed it to the first plug and put the PATA drive in master. I also tried slave but when I tried to boot the system just went to a blank screen with the hard drive light randomly flashing about 10 sec after the initial POST just before the graphical part of the XP Pro install (off the CD).

After I disconnected the PATA drive Windows was fine. The problem is now I only have my 160 GB drive and no secondry drive.

------------------------------------------
ORIGINAL Setup
Abit IC7 Motherboard
P4 2.8c
Gig of DDR433
1 x 40 GB Maxtor 5400 PATA (IDE) (Windows Drive)
1 x 80 GB Seagate 7200 PATA (IDE)
4 x 80mm fans (2 intake, 2 outtake) No heat problems at all
------------------------------------------

That might have been ok if that was my only problem, but now I seem to have software problems too. So far my system has just randomly hard rebooted itself twice now.

Not only that but my system has been randomly hanging at least a few times a day now. I suspect it could be Internet Explorer, but seeing as thats what I have open 95% of the time I'm using my computer it could just be coincidental. When this happens, Winamp still carries on fine, going thru the playlist as usual but I can't get into the Task Manager, open anything new or go into the start menu. I'm wondering if this could have been caused by one of the aforementioned random hard reboots during my first Windows Update.

Thirdly - I'm not sure if this is normal or not but the new Western Digital 160 GB SATA hard drive seems to make a lot of noise when shutting down. All the fans whirl down etc but the hard drive makes a bit of a loud sorta dull click noise and seems to stop all of a sudden. Probably not good hey? :(

And yes I know - Massive post, but it's better than 3 different topics. Any help would be really appriciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom