Sata and IDE sorry!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Sata and IDE sorry!!

Sorry for being such a noob, but I just built my first pc and I'm having trouble with the hard drives-- I read the post about setting up a RAID for the drive but I dont think that relates to my problem.

I have a 40 gig IDE running perfectly with XP installed on it, and a 160 SATA that seems to be recognized, however I cant seem to get it to boot and load into windows. The ide is plugged in the IDE connector (duh) and ive got the sata in the sata 1 slot on the mobo. I updated the bios and made sure to inable the SATA boot rom in the bios, but it still wont load.

Any Ideas?

system specs:

Asus K8V SE Deluxe
AMD 643400+
maxtor 40gb IDE
maxtor 160gb SATA
soundblaster audigy 2 ZS
BFG 6800U

Old 08-29-2004, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Do you have your IDE with XP installed on it AND you have your SATA drive with an OS installed on it? That might be a problem in itself. Disconnect the IDE HD and see if you cant get the computer to boot just from the SATA drive.

Old 08-29-2004, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

no, I only have the OS on the IDE that I have running. I haven't been able to do anything at all with the 160.

XP recognized and installed the drivers for a: "Win XP Promise RAID Console SCSI Processor Device" but I didnt notice that it changed
Old 08-29-2004, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

ok so what exactly happens if you have both plugged in?

Quote:
I have a 40 gig IDE running perfectly with XP installed on it, and a 160 SATA that seems to be recognized, however I cant seem to get it to boot and load into windows.
So you're saying with the SATA drive connected, even though you have your perfectly fine installed IDE drive, the IDE drive won't load into windows with the SATA attached? I don't know much about SATA but why would you need it to 'boot' anything, shouldn't it be somewhat like a slave? or is that not what youre after. Are you wanting your 40gb HD as your main windows hd and the 160SATA as just storage?
Old 08-29-2004, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well it wasnt coming up under disk management, so I couldnt really work with it-- but I finallly found the right/better driver for my sata ports, and after some fiddling I've got it running

thanks for helping though--
Old 08-29-2004, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

lol good job, I didn't do crap cause this is an unknown area for me. Congrats on getting it to work though

Closed Thread