SATA + IDE - Explain

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackwacko_4

Beta member
Hi,
I'm in the process of looking for componenets to make a mid-ranged gaming pc, but will be using a combination of my old components and new ones (hard drives).

I definately need a 500GB HD, and am pretty sure that It should be a SATA drive (Samsung SpinPoint F1 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache is what I'm thinking), but I will also use my old one (a Maxtor 160GB HD - IDE, sorry don't know any more info), and was basicly wondering, would they work fine together? (By the way, the smaller drive will only be used for my OS, program/game files, and the 500GB one will be for all my files, music, video etc...

If you need to know the motherboard they will be connected to, here: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4 AMD 790X (Socket AM2) PCI-Express DDR2.

So knowing this (plus ask if you need any other info), would it be fine, and what would I need to do, possibly in terms of steps, to connect them both to the motherboard, and have them set up correcty (e.g. buying cables).

Thanks, JDW

Yes, they will work together. Just set up the first boot drive in the BIOS as the 160GB one, and set it as Master. Then plug in your SATA drive into the first channel, load up the BIOS, and set the first boot HDD as the 160GB Maxtor drive. Should work just fine.

Thanks, thats fine, and simple, just making sure really.

Just another question though, do new SATA hard drives (bought from overclockers.co.uk) come with their SATA cables, or are they bought seperately?

No problem.

If you buy OEM hard drives, they do not come with cables. Retail drives may come with them...can't remember for sure (retail also usually comes with manufacturer's software discs). OEM is usually cheaper, though, since there's less packing/no accessories (just the drive).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom