SATA HDD help for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassiusBlack

Solid State Member
SATA HDD help for a newbie (also graphic card help)

Righty ho fellas i just found this forum and it seems from what i've read that everyone here is pretty dam helpful when it comes to all things PC.

This is my first time building a PC and i've come to a couple of problems.
Firstly it took me bloody ages till i realised why all the guides on the net that i found had HDD's looking very differeent to mine as they wern't SATA but my problem now consists of how to attach the thing. Anyone know any good graphic guides? In particular i'm finding it hard understanding the cables that i need to attach to it. Think i've got the power figured out but i don't know what the data one looks like (if that makes any sense).

This is my MOBO: DFI LanParty UT RDX200CF-DR Crossfire (Socket 939) Motherboard (MB-017-DF)

and this is the SATA HDD: Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache

Also do i need to do anything with Jumper Pins??

Thanks in advance...

attaching a SATA hard drive really is quite easy. you just need to plug in a data cable (usually red) and a power cable. then attack the other end of the data cable to the motherboard.
there isn't any way you can physically plug them in wrong.

you just need to install SATA drivers when you install Windows
you do this by pressing F6 when you load from the CD, when it says "press F6 to install a 3rd party SCSI or RAID controller" (or something along those lines)

hmmm ok i'll give that a try when i get home from work. Thanks a lot.

I got Another Question...
My graphics card is: HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X1800 XL 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Do i need to get another graphics card? Or will it work on its own as i think to get the best out of it you need another PCI graphics card. Just thinking i don't really want to go and buy a new one. Also can i just use my card from my old pc? Its a ATI Saphire Radeon 9800 Pro and i think i still have all the drivers...

it will work on its own. I'm not sure if crossfire is out and actually working yet, but if it is, then you can get another card and get better performance. but you won't need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom