Are SATA Hard Drives Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag3

Fully Optimized
The reason I ask, is because there is a sticky at the top of the forum about setting up a SATA hard drive. It looks all complicated and stuff... Basicly what I am asking is:

Are SATA hard drives as easy to setup as IDE? What are the benefits of SATA?

Thx VERY much in advance for clarifying this for me!

they are almost as easy to setup except you may need to install a RAID driver during windows installation. you just put the driver on a floppy disk and away you go. they are a bit faster than ATA133 EIDE. benifits: disk speed & response time. this means applications run faster and games load faster (but not run faster). this is good for video editting because you do not want video to stutter. hard disks are the slowest component in a computer so if you have a Athlon64 3800+ and you have a slow hard disk you bottleneck the computer and wasted money on a CPU which isn't used at it's full potential

The way u want to set up a ATA or SATA HD is the same.
Its just that SATA can reach up to 150MB while ATA can reach only 133MB.

Another cool feature about the SATA hdd's that everyone failed to mention is that they are hot swapable if you use the new power connector for them (and not the regualr molex one). But of course you can't hot swap them if you've got windows installed on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom