Sata Fun !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajun Tech

Solid State Member
hi there here's my problem I recently purchased a "upgrade" to my computer. It consisted of a Chaintech 9CJS Zenith Mobo, a P4 2.8 E chip 2 sticks of 512 mushkin and a WD 160 GIG SATA HDD. The initial install of the hard drive went very smoothly i had no problems getting the bios to see the hard drive after flashting it , I downloaded WD's Life Guard Tools and partitioned my hard drive like i wanted it Started up windows XP Pro install (which also had no problem recognizing the HDD) and in about 20 min i was siting at my desktop marvling in the monster that i had just created.
Well i started setting up my computter, installing windows updates, copying mp3's from an old hard disk etc. The trouble all started when i rebooted.
The Problem originated as an error "Disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+delet to reboot". It would come up right when he boot sequence would hit the hard drive looking for an operating system. After a few reboots and no change i began to look around in the bios for mabey something i had left out. i found nothing and after about 20 min the system woulnt even get past the Detecting IDE Devices in the POST. so now im trying to find out if im goign to have to RMA this HDD or mabey my new motherboard etc. Basicly what im asking yall is if any one has ever heard of this sort of thing happning and if so, is there anythign i can do to fix this thing without sending it off.

The Hard drive was operational for aproximatly 2 hours before dying.
All hard ware is all brand new which consists of:
p4 2.8 E
Chaintech 9CJS Zenith mobo
two sicks of mushkin ram 1gb total
nvidia Ti 4600
Western Digital 160GB SATA HD
480 Watt Case Edge Powersupply

Ive tried all the basic trouble shooting stuff but any tips are welcome... Thanks

--CajunTech

Yes it did appear after windows update, my computer hangs during post while it is trying to detect IDE drives, so no it wont go to safemode and i flashed the bios before installing the sata drive so thats not it either. like i said it was working great, i rebooted and now i cant get my mobo to work with the hdd at all.

*EDIT*
although did start after i compleated windows updates i doubt that it is the source of my problem. windows updates does not touch the bios or firmware on the hdd. I say tha because im not even getting to a spot where my disc is reading therefore it dosent mater if i have windows 3.11 on the disk, much less a corrupted xp install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom