SATA floppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GageMW

Daemon Poster
after about an hour of wondering why windows XP wouldnt install on my SATA drive i did a google search, and voila! i found out you need to put drivers for SATA on a floppy, even if it's not RAID, so my question is, which files do i copy out of the folder? its an asus a8v deluxe, in the support CD i go to F:\Drivers\Promise (the name of the SATA controller) and then i have 378ATA, 378RAID, Netware, PAM, and Setup folders, where do i go from there?

waynejkruse10 said:
when xp setup loads, put your driver floppy disk in.

... and hit F6 once the setup begins. you will be prompt to select the appropriate drivers off of the disk.

er, ya i understand that, but first i need to know which files to put on floppy? do i put the whole folder in? also there a VIA raid folder with drivers, i was pretty sure that it's promise since it's on the regular SATA connector and not in raid, also when i go into promise folder there is an AFIE file called MakeDisk with a floppy icon, do i use IT to create the floppy?

MakeDisk will properly arrange the files on the disk. you want to use the VIA RAID drivers, even if the S-ATA is on a native channel (single harddrive, no RAID).

alright, the raid does not come with the makedisk file, should i just copy the files onto the disk? do i need to format the disk as a ms dos startup disk? could i copy makedisk into the VIA folder and use it? thnx in advance
Gage

you don't need to format the disk as a startup disk. copy the contents of the VIA folder onto the disk. if u have any trouble, just let me know!

I'm building my first computer with a single sata drive also- and after reading about all the xp installation problems with it not reading the HD.Is it possible that i can use a external floppy drive
with the appropriate sata drivers on a disk or would it have to be internal.Still waiting for all the componets before i can start anyway.

well, i just borrowed an old drive from another comp and let it hang loose while i did it, but anything will work, i think, so long as it's not usb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom