SATA drives...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiderx

Beta member
I need some info to demistify this SATA cahoots of configuring these drives. I would like to know if the SATA drive will work if connected to SATA1 or SATA2 connectors, regardless of motherboard, with no other drives connected to the SATA3,4 and IDE1,2 connectors. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong but it is my understanding that the SATA drivers are only needed to run a RAID array and the a SATA drive would work as an IDE drive if only one is used on any system that supports SATA drives. If this is true, will the SATA drive work at a reduced ATA100 or ATA133 instead of SATA150? Will a single SATA drive work on either SATA3,4 connectors (which are usually used for RAID)?

I have my SATA in 1 and am having no problems. Also, most single hard drives today (esp. 7200RPM ones) cannot even come close to filling 100MB of bandwidth, let alone 150. My maxtor runs in at around 50 if I remember correctly.

Thanks, thats what I have it on. I just wanted to know because I've been reading a lot regarding these drivers on the newsgroups and forums. But you know I really think the driver is of no concern if you only use one drive. And I agree, maybe, MAYBE on bursts may we ever see that 150 through put from a drive. Anything else regardings SATA that I should know? How about the RAID question? :bald:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom