SATA Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

str8lazy

In Runtime
I am new to the SATA world, and I was wondering it if have 3 SATA drives, 2 of them identical, can i set up the identical 2 to be on RAID 0/1 and have the other one just be on regular SATA???

plz bear with me on my ignorance of this

It depends how you are setting up the RAID 0/1? Are you using the onboard SATA ports or buying a Controller (such as High Point RocketRAID 1640)?

I have never actually tried setting such an array up but in my experience with RAID you will have to "Build" an array within the RAID menu, then try installing an OS.

The maximum bandwidth of onboard ports is 133MB/sec.

Don't be alarmed though, although SATA drives theoretically transfer 150MB/sec they only really transfer at around 60-75MB/sec.

The reason I bring this up is because the motherboard will only have 2 SATA ports, meaning that you will have to get 2 SATA hard drives on one cable (120-150MB/sec for RAID -0) and put the storage hard drive on the other port.

I recommend using 1 port per SATA hard drive and creating a RAID array, then buying a PATA (Parallel (normal :D)) and using a nice ATA133 hard drive in an IDE port.

There is no major performance difference between SATA and PATA. Plus, PATA hard drives are cheaper and you can get yourself a nice large drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom