I am trying to get windows to see this new sata drive on xp box. drive is there, has data because it was once connected before, all cables and connections are good. adaptec sata host controller (pci card) is installed and recognized. windows will NOT recognize the drive or give it a drive letter designation. in disk manager, it shows the drive, the volume, and calls it a "dynamic disk" and is unreadable. see the notes below.
many, many kind thanks for your help on this hair-puller.
oh, yes, i have searched many, many threads on many forums. believe me, i wouldnt be here posting this situation if i could find the answer.
1. This is an OEM drive, Samsung SP1213C SATA 120gb.
2. The first time I tried to install the drive, I had a similar experience -- Windows essentially know it's there but does not assign it a drive letter.
3. After much futzing around, involving cable swaps, driver updates, sata host controller driver re-installs, windows tweaks, jumper settings, BIOS upgrades, etc, not much happened. Then, one day, the drive appeared and had a drive letter (H
4. I proceeded to use it for a few months, putting music and pictures on it, mainly. I was able to access it fine. I shutdown/restarted many times.
5. A month ago I disconnected the drive while it and e/t else was powered down. I went out of town for a week. I came back. I put the drive back in, and Windows saw it, no problem. I continued to put data on it.
6. Last Thursday Windows stop recognizing the drive for some reason, but the drive is still "there". Here's how I know:
a. Disk Manager shows the drive as Dynamic Unreadable: http://lucky.phpwebhosting.com/~dilgil/dg/dm.bmp
b. SysInfo shows the drive as existant (it's the 111 GB drive): http://lucky.phpwebhosting.com/~dilg...tem%20info.bmp
I dont remember doing anything drastic. While I was moving data I happened to delete a user (not admin -- just a basic user) profile that i didnt need anymore. that's the ONLY thing i can remember doing that was system related.
So, what do you think happened? I am at wit's end. I've checked many forums for similar problems but can't find an answer. Admittedly, i AM a moron. One guy with a very similar issue used a partition repair program with success. DO you think I have a problem like that? Corrupted partition tables?
I think that's the best summary i can give, but im sure i've forgotton something. Any help or ideas any of you could offer would be so appreciated, that i would likely push everlasting good karma your way.
thank you, again.