SATA does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch

Baseband Member
Ok so im building a PC for my sister and im having some real problems with the hdd. I decided to get a SATA Seagate 80g for her.(this is my first experience with SATA hdd) Anyway no matter what I do I cannot install XP on this drive. It is recognized in startup but not in the installer. I flashed the BIOS and installed latest version....I also loaded up the RAID drivers (f6) while installing windows with no luck. I heard that you have to setup a RAID with these drives but i've never done that either. Can anyone help me sort this out. Here is a link to the mobo: http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/FeedBack/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16813131518

You don't need to setup RAID, but you do need to install divers during Windows install. The hitting F6 part is correct, but you may have loaded the wrong driver. You don't need the RAID one, just the normal SATA driver.

You don't want it from the asus site. The hdd should of came with a floppy. If not, go to the website of the hdd and get the driver and put it on a floppy.

idiotec said:
You don't want it from the asus site. The hdd should of came with a floppy. If not, go to the website of the hdd and get the driver and put it on a floppy.

sometime you have to copy file from the drivers cd to a bootable floppy

AH yes seagates website. Thanks for all your help, turns out I had to d/l a bootable floppy from seagate as well as new raid drivers. Anyway its formatting now so its all good.

These little details can really aggrevate me when I forget them,
that is why Tech-Forums is so great.................

Glad to hear you got it figured out.

Great info. I am an old skooler as well and havent had much interaction with installing windows on a sata drive so this is good info. Does anyone have a link that will give me the same driver options, but on a bootable CD rather than a floppy boot disk? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom