Sata Controller question... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Sata Controller question...

So I bought a sata controller because I have four hdd, two of which hold a OS, (Vista & 7) and the other two are slave drives. One of the slaves is 1 TB and the other is 250 GB. I wanted to use the sata controller to boot my windows 7 OS when ever I want but I guess this is not possible as I didn't see it in the bios boot order. So is there any way around this? I was thinking about putting the 250 GB on the sata controller instead but all my games are installed on this hdd and I'm afraid it will load slow as **** on this controller, right? The 1 TB is to big for the controller.

Am I stuck?

Old 04-19-2009, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Sata Controller question...

SATA is going to boot from channel 0 to the highest channel you have. 0 being the OS channel, then going up from there. There is no boot order with SATA, you aren't going to see a bios option for this.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If you have the drives on the add-on card, you will need to tell the motherboard to attempt to boot from the add-on card if that is an option in the BIOS, and Lex, just for future reference, there is a boot order with SATA, as you can tell the controller on several newer motherboards which SATA drive to boot from.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I will look around to see if there is a way to boot from the card. I only saw the boot sequence for the sata's from mobo.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Well I wasted money and time for nothing. I actually have 6 sata ports on mobo. I didn't notice this because they are stacked 3 rows of 2 and I couldn't see the stack of 2's. LOL oops

Good news is all 4 HDD are now in and I can boot W7 with out messing with sata cables
Old 04-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

LMAO... I don't wanna know how you missed those while installing a SATA card...
Old 04-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

The sata card is PCI-e so it's no where near the sata ports. The sata ports are also very hard to see with the gpu in there.

When the computer was first built I didn't put the HDD in, my buddy did so I never even looked at them.

The only reason I even thought I might have 6 is because I saw 6 locations in the bios and only 3 in use. I took out the gpu and sound card so I could get in there. Turned on a flash light and sure enough! LOL
Old 04-26-2009, 03:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Content Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad711 View Post
The sata card is PCI-e so it's no where near the sata ports. The sata ports are also very hard to see with the gpu in there.

When the computer was first built I didn't put the HDD in, my buddy did so I never even looked at them.

The only reason I even thought I might have 6 is because I saw 6 locations in the bios and only 3 in use. I took out the gpu and sound card so I could get in there. Turned on a flash light and sure enough! LOL
LOL funny. I had a friend tell me one time my mobo didn't have any SATA slots... I had to actually open the case and point them out to him... >.<

Closed Thread