SATA card and Seagate wont boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve396LT1

Solid State Member
I installed a SATA Seagate Barracuda Hardrive onto my WXP Pro computer. I used Copy Commander to transfer all data over to the new drive from my Maxtor Diamond plus. Once all data was tranferred, including partitions, the system recognized, but wouldnt allow me to look on the new drive. Basically when I click on the new drives, they wont open. Also, I loaded the drivers for the SATA card, which is also recognized. I have a Silicon Image 3112a SATA raid controller. I use a MSI KT3Ultr 2 mohterboard, with the new 5.7 BIOS. I also have a XP Barton 2500. If I disconnect the Maxtor hardrive the system will not go past disk check, then it locks. What do I have to do to make the system recognize the new drive, on its own .

Not too familiar with sata, but do you have to make the partition active or bootable. Did you format it before you did all of this.

The Harddrive was a Ghosted image via Copy Commander. I can go in a look at files etc, it is all working with the exception of no being bootable.

yes you need to make the drive bootable. depending on your OS depends on what you need to do. IF 98 you can do a sys from aboot disk. with xp im not sure i think you have to run the 6 boot disks and do something similar, but yoiu may have to look that up.

When you make a ghose image through that program, does it make a copy of only windows file or also things like the Master Boot Record?

Look on Yahoo! for a boot proggy. There are a lot of freewear ones out there that can help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom