Sata And Ata? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2004, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie
Question Sata And Ata?

Okay, most mobo's (at least newer ones) support both ATA, and SATA. For instance, the one MSI board I'm looking at now, has ATA support for 4 IDE devices, and a SATA connection for 2 master drives.

My question is: Is it possible (and has anyone had experience with this) to have 2 ATA HDDs and 2 SATA HDDs running on the same board?

Since I know next to nothing about SATA, I don't know how the system operates in concerns to the SATA interface. That's why I'm wondering if it is possible, and whether or not that will cause problems in the system. I know the ATA drives will be slower than the SATA drives, but since they are on seperate controllers, I don't know if there would be a bottleneck still, or if the system would run at all with both types of drives.

Please advise.

Old 08-16-2004, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Yep, it would work no probleme. On my systeme I have 2 ATA and 1 SATA working like a charm.

- Intel 2.8E @ 3.36GHz
- Asus P4P800-E DLX
- 4X512MB (2Gig) Crucial PC3200
- ATI 9600 All-In-Wonder
- RAID card for extra IDE channels
- 120G Western Digital SATA for Windows
- 120G IDE Western Digital Hard Drive
- 80G IDE Maxtor Hard Drive
- Pioneer 107D DVD burner
- Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
- Logitech Z680 speakers
- Thermaltake Xavier II Full Tower
- Thermaltake PurePower 480W ps
- Logitech MX Duo combo wireless keyboard/mouse
- Sharp 17\" LCD monitor
Old 08-16-2004, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

So the ATA drives won't cause a system bottleneck with their slower speeds?

I mean, will I just experience slower access times on the ATAs vs the SATAs, or will I see an overall blend caused by the system reverting the speeds to the ATA level?

Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 08-16-2004, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

no, because they're independent drives
<SMALL><font color=\"blue\">Desktop
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester @ 2000MHz
MSI K8N Neo4 nForce4 Ultra
ThermalTake Tsunami Dream Black w/ Side Window
Antec Neopower 480W
Maxtor 250GB SATA + Seagate 200GB SATA
Patriot 2GB (2x1024) PC3200
Dell 2005FPw 20.1\" Widescreen LCD
ATi Radeon x800XT
Old 08-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

depends. you boot to sata drive then say you have your games on the ata. you'll be using the bus for the ata and so will not have full benefit of sata tech, but you will still see some improvement just due to the fact of having the second drive. may want to play with setting your swap files on the second drive and see how much of a increase in performance there is. I'm not sure since the sata/ata configuration.
If you argue with an idiot he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 08-16-2004, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

My thinking now is to take my two ATA drives (that are currently in my machine) and make them secondary storage devices in my new machine. Since my new mobo will support 2 SATA drives, and since I can get some high-capacity Seagate SATAs for cheap, I'll probably buy 2 big SATA drives for programs/games/os, and use the older ATA133s on the IDE string for my massive music collection, setup programs, zips, and other archive info. That should work good, don'tcha think?

Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 08-16-2004, 09:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

You have to set the ata drives to slave, and put them on indipendent channels. Drives are indipendent local media drives, so as long as you have no data crossing over from a ata drive to a sata drive there will be no bottleneck, and full speed of the satas will be engaged.

Closed Thread