Status
Not open for further replies.

psman

In Runtime
Hello

I am planning to upgrade my hard disk i can choose between a samsung 120GB
80GB maxtor SATA

I dont know if SATA does really matters for losing 40 GB

so is there a big difference between normal disks and SATA and are samsung HDs really good??

Thanks

Personally, I only buy Samsung drives if I can. But that's me.

It really depends.. does your MB support SATA? I assume that it does. The highest data transfer rate you're going to achieve with a regular IDE ATA drive is 133, whereas, SATA has transfer rates up to 150 (mbps, I believe).

So, no.. you don't have to go with SATA, but it certainly is better and will be the future of HD connections for some time. Also, you'll need SATA drives if you ever plan on going with a RAID connection.

My MB is MSI 848P it supports sata but is there a real difference in speed or lifetime??

Btw. You can have RAID on IDE, but you have to have it on the same cable, so it is not as fast (It will have 133mb/s shared between both drives, where as SATA has 150mb/s for each drive if you have it in a RAID setup.

I would also go for the SATA.

SATA gives marginally better performance than PATA. For the most part, SATA is better than PATA when you use more than one hard drive.

Dont forget that Hard drives dont really fill up the maximum badwidth (100, 133, or 150MBps). Most 7200rpms have a sustained data transfer rate of around 70MBps, or something close to that.

The reason that SATA slightly outperforms PATA, even with one drive, is because it is easier for the end-of-cable electronics to handle a serial stream of data as compared to multiple streams of data.

Good point Cowboy. Also, the hardware of SATA is much easier to deal with and takes up less space than the old IDE cables.. even round IDE cables for that matter.

psman said:
Hello

80GB maxtor SATA

so is there a big difference between normal disks and SATA and are samsung HDs really good??

Thanks
1. The price difference between a 80gb SATA and a 120gb SATA is like $10. So you don't need to sacrifice on size.

2. SATA's offer more speed than conventional drives. If you buy a SATA drive with less capacity, you have a drive with less capacity. SATA doesn't provide a capacity increase. Read up.

3. Stick to a company that has an extensive and successful history of selling hard-drives. Like, SeaGate or Western-Digital.

4. SamSung make TVs and cellphones....if yer buying a TV or cell-phone, look at SamSung. If yer buying computer hardware, look to someone known for making good computer hardware.

psman said:
Hello

80GB maxtor SATA

Thanks

Do you do any disk intensive computing? SATA is significantly faster. It sounds like you're looking for more space so in that case there is nothing wrong with the Maxtor.

From personal experience I'd recommend a Seagate above all for quiet, cool and reliable operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom