Sapphire 9600 128 vs 9600 256

Status
Not open for further replies.

alecjahn

Daemon Poster
Im thinking about puchasing a Sapphire 9600 (non PRO, non XT)

Newegg carries retail and bulk (for about 3 dollars less) versions of the Sapphire 9600, but theres a 128 one and a 256 one.

128=Samsung (4-5?ms) memory
256=Elixir (4-5?ms) memory

Since i assume the memory for each is rated at the same, is there any advantage to buying the 128, since it has Samsung memory ( Thumbs up ) or is the 256's memory just fine? maybe even good memory.?? How much of a performance increase will i get with the 256? i assume not much. Ive heard having more memory will help your card play some of the latest games that havent come out yet (like Doom, HL2 etc)... is this true?

I plan to overclock the card, and im trying to get it from 325/400 to about 400/400+ , (ive heard people being able to do this easily, but which memory would take the OC better?)

My birthday is on the 12th (monday) and my parents said for my Bday they would pay for about half of the card so i can actually afford it...

Anyways, any information would be greatly
apprecieated. (<--spelling?)

SIDE NOTE:

What does newegg mean by, "Refurbished"??
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-301R&depa=0
Do they actually mean refurbished, as in a broken card that has been fixed, or are they returns that "seemed" to work properly...
Anyone ever bought a refurbished card from N.Egg? Details!

Thanks again.

I wouldnt really worry about that much memory for a video card AS OF NOW.

As of now, NO game uses that much video memory, not even FarCry, so I would just get the cheaper 128mb version and get a 256mb video card when games start needing that extra 128mb to power them correctly.

Good luck on getting the video card though!

(I have a Radeon 9600XT 128mb and it is a GREAT card!)

Nahh...games do need that extra Memory...I would go with the 256. The extra 128Mb of ram will make it so that it won't rely on how much memory you got in your PC. It's worth the extra money if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom