"Safely Remove" device dilemna - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2005, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Content Team
Send a message via Yahoo to mrlewp
Default "Safely Remove" device dilemna

I plug my SD digital camera card into my PC's 7-1 card reader , OR use the USB cable to transfer from camera dock. In the past, when done, I would double click the tray icon , and up would pop dialog box to remove a device. I dont know why "USB Mass Storage Device" was only listing , but when I selected STOP, another box would pop up showing a list. It was easy to know which to select to stop. Then, I would always get the "Now safe to remove......." message.
In past couple of days......it's gone wacky. I click "STOP" , and a list appears, but this time each card reading input has 2 listings! In the case of my SD card, one will say "Generic Volume" and show correct drive as (I But also listed is "Generic USB SD Reader USB Device" ???
My SD card is not USB......is it?? And why "Generic" ??
Regardless, either choice will appear to do the task intended , BUT never does the message regarding "Safe to remove device......" appear anymore, and the light next to SD slot remains on !
What's more ..... I am then informed that the device has been marked for removal and cant be shut down....AND in Device Manager, there is that pesky yellow icon with question mark now appearing . (although just found its cleared after reboot(s).)

Old 05-15-2005, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

It is"Generic" because you are using some sort of universal driver. It says it is USB because your card reader probably plugs into a USB connector on your motherboard. First, go into device manager (where you saw the exclamation points, double click on each device and record and google the error code to find out what went wrong. Then, I would try unistalling all of these devices from the device manager and rebooting, letting windows see them again. If it fixed it, it fixed it and you have some idea (hopefully ) of what happened. If not, then post back here and someone else that knows a little more can help you out.
AGP won\'t fit in PCI-E... unless you use a really good hammer. ~Trotter
Closed Thread